Paradise Interrupted December 2002 - put on site September 2003 Jarvinia Okay...this is a multi-fandom crossover between Forever Knight, Doctor Who, and Star Trek: The Next Generation (mainly the first two). FK (specifically Nick and LaCroix) doesn't pop up for a bit (not until part four), but once it's there, it's there. In the Doctor Who universe, I'm using the seventh Doctor, Ace, and the Master (couldn't help myself on the last one), and this is set somewhere before the last aired episode, 'Survival'. In FK, Last Knight did happen, and for the purposes of this story, Natalie did die...sorry about that. Hopefully the non-FK stuff works, as it's been a while since I've seen any episodes of Doctor Who (which are in storage at the moment). None of the three series belong to me, I'm just having a bit of fun. Any original characters, etc, are however mine. This is a story (in concept) I've wanted to write from the start, and finally, here it is. Doctor Who is actually how I got into fanfic, way back in 1994 or so, and then crossovers, and in early 1996 I found fkfanfic.com and...well, I've obviously stayed in the FK fandom, although I still like crossovers quite a bit (also probably pretty obvious). If you want to archive this/see it archived, please let me know. Any and all feedback (comments, questions, etc.) are more than welcome. Anyway...on to the story. ~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~ (01/12) The room lurched and the normally rising and falling column in the TARDIS' control room came to a sudden halt. The Doctor stared at it for a moment, and then frantically went for the controls, trying to figure out what was happening. None of the controls were reading anything. The coordinates--for both time and space--were simply blank and missing. "This isn't good," he muttered to himself, flipping a few more switches. Nothing happened. The TARDIS didn't even make a sound of protest, and that worried him. "Definitely not good." He continued at the console, the door to the rest of the TARDIS opening to emit a young girl of about seventeen. He glanced to her, and then continued to try to get the TARDIS to respond. "Professor, what's going on?" Ace asked, even as the room shifted again. It almost felt like they couldn't make up their mind on a course. He tried to open the view screen, but it didn't work. They couldn't see anything, and the coordinates hadn't changed from before. Not only that, but none of the controls were working--not one, and not even partially. "Nothing. Nothing's going anywhere at the moment." "Okay...then where are we?" "According to the TARDIS, we're nowhere." The lights abruptly dimmed, only a faint glow illuminating the room. Before either could comment, the floor was practically pulled out from beneath them, sending both of them spinning. Eventually, everything disappeared, sending them into a deep, black void. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Doctor Beverly Crusher sat studying the life-signs of one of her two patients. He had two hearts. The girl that had been found with him was human, but he...he was something completely different. He looked human, but he most certainly wasn't. Not only that, but their whole presence on the ship confused her. Several hours before, the two had simply materialized not far from Ten-Forward. From what witnesses had said, they just faded in, both unconscious. The ship's logs confirmed it wasn't a transporter, but then what was it? How did they get there, and just who were they? They were both dressed in clothes that fit in with twentieth-century Earth, but even then, the man's clothes were a little eccentric, the question marks and paisley on his clothes fighting with one another. "Doctor, I think he's waking," one of the nurses said from the doorway to her office. Beverly stood, quickly following the nurse. Before they arrived, however, the man sat up, apparently completely awake. The Doctor looked around, somewhat startled by his surroundings. Where was the TARDIS? Where was this? "Lie down. You shouldn't be sitting up just yet." He turned to the woman, a nurse, but didn't do as she said. He felt fine, and turned, swinging his legs around to the side. He looked to the two, watching the other woman, a redhead who was scanning him. Both appeared to be human. But, his surroundings didn't quite remind him of an Earth culture...almost, but not quite. The technology was off. Beverly finished her scan, commenting, "As far as I can tell, you're fine. I still wouldn't recommend getting up just yet. You should rest for a few minutes." She watched as he did just the opposite of her suggestion, walking around her, stopping as his gaze fell on the girl. She didn't stop him, but at the same time he didn't seem to be hostile, so she wasn't overly concerned at his movements. "She should wake up soon. She'll be fine. The question is, who are you and how did you get here?" The Doctor turned back to her, silently staring in her direction. "I don't know how we got here," he said, which was the truth. The TARDIS had...well, he wasn't quite sure what she had done, but somehow they arrived here...wherever that was. "As for who I am, I'm the Doctor." "Doctor...?" "Just 'the Doctor'. My friend there," he said, nodding to her form, "is Ace." Beverly followed the Doctor's actions as he walked around the room, getting close to some of the equipment, but not touching anything. "Where am I?" he asked, continuing to look at the room's contents. "You're on the USS Enterprise, a starship. We're part of the United Federation of Planets." He snapped his attention back to the woman. "I've never heard of it." She was a little stunned, but was even more surprised at his lack of concern. To her, it seemed obvious he should know of it--given that the girl with him was from Earth. He, however most certainly wasn't. "Starfleet. It's based on Earth." "Earth? What is the year?" Again, she was momentarily at a loss of words. "Earth year 2370." "2370?" It didn't make sense. In that year, Earth wasn't nearly this advanced. Standing in place, he could almost feel the ship move- -not like any ship in existence in that year. "Calendar system?" "Gregorian." 2370. More was going on than what initially met his eyes. He glanced to Ace, and then back to the woman, "I'd like to speak to someone in charge...the Commander." "For now, you should rest." The doors to sickbay slid open, two guards entering. "They will take you to quarters." The Doctor eyed the two men. Each wore a uniform similar to the Doctor, but with gold replacing the blue. They also each carried a small weapon. Typical security, and they were just as wary of him as he was. He did not like the look of this. At least 'quarters' sounded better than 'cell'. He turned back to the woman, asking, "And what about Ace?" "I'll have someone notify you when she awakens. She'll be fine." He didn't comment, and she added, "It would help if you could explain what happened." He shook his head. Now was probably not the best time to explain anything, particularly when he really wasn't sure just what was going on. Beverly held his gaze for a moment, and then nodded to the guards. She watched as the Doctor turned, and left the room, being escorted out the door and down the hall. He followed the first man, who walked silently forward. He looked back, only to see the other. They might be typical security, but they weren't dumb by his guess. Passing a corridor, he caught something out of the corner of his eye--a dark hooded figure in vaguely familiar and very out of place robes. He looked a second time, but they were gone. Eventually, they arrived at a door, and one of the guards opened it. Inside was exactly what had been mentioned--quarters. They were simple, but more than decent, with a room each for himself and Ace. One of the men quickly explained the replicator and that he would have limited access to the computer. They also mentioned that he would not be allowed to leave. They might be quarters, but he was imprisoned, nonetheless. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. "You didn't get anything other than their names?" Beverly shook her head before again meeting Picard's gaze. "No, I didn't, and the man's.... He just calls himself 'the Doctor', no further name to go with it." Picard leaned back. They had two unknown people show up on his ship, from an unknown location by unknown means...and they weren't getting any information. "You said he wasn't human." "No, he's not, but I don't know what he is. He has two hearts, and...well, he looks human, but most certainly isn't. He wasn't very forthcoming." "And he wasn't familiar with anything in sickbay?" "The technology wasn't what he was expecting, I don't think. But unfamiliar...I wouldn't say that. He seemed to take everything in stride and wasn't that concerned about having to ask the year. I think he knows more about this than he's saying, but how much more, I don't know." "Well, I think it's time to have a chat with our guest." Standing, the Captain gestured toward the door. "Please lead the way, Dr. Crusher." She smiled slightly, standing and doing just that. Perhaps with the Captain there, the Doctor would be more willing to talk. After all, he had wished to speak to someone in charge. (02/12) Sitting at the computer console, the Doctor frustratingly poked in commands. "That information is only available to Starfleet personnel," the computer's voice rang out. He tried accessing another file, but got the same response, which he mouthed along with. So far, he'd found almost nothing useful other than a bit of history. In this timeline, technology had advanced faster than did the Earth he was used to. It was a different universe. But, still, there was the question of what had happened and why. The hooded figure he'd seen earlier was a clue. He had hoped he would see them again, but it was just the one glimpse. There was something going on, and he wanted to know just what that was--and now. He was tired of doing the Time Lords legwork, but suspected that this was exactly that. He hit the console, which beeped at him, and it droned off the same reply as before. "Yeah, yeah, I know--only available to Starfleet personnel." Then, another sound came from the door. Remembering what he'd been told earlier, he knew that he had a visitor. "Come in, not that you'll give me a choice." The door slid open, at which Dr. Crusher and Picard entered, the door shutting behind them. The Captain stepped closer, the man before him being very much as had been described. There was something in the alien's eyes, but it was indefinable...as was anything relating to him. "I'm Jean Luc Picard, Captain of the Enterprise," he spoke, holding his hand out to the man. It was taken, and firmly shaken--firmer than he had expected. "I'm sure you've met Dr. Crusher, here," he mentioned, gesturing to her. He held the Captain's gaze. "Met, yes. Been introduced, no." "Well, we haven't been introduced, either," Picard calmly replied. The Doctor stiffened somewhat. These people certainly weren't pleased at his presence aboard their ship. Not that he didn't blame them, but still. "I'm the Doctor." "So you say. Doctor of what?" the Captain asked. "Nothing in particular." Now, it was Picard's turn to react. This was getting nowhere, and wouldn't unless one of them got things going. "You and your friend were found unconscious, seemingly materializing from nowhere. Do you remember what happened before that?" The Doctor considered his response. Although he didn't want to reveal the truth, they needed some kind of answer. "Myself and Ace were in the control room of my ship. The controls ceased to function, and control was lost. Then, next thing I remember is waking up here, on your ship." He stared forward, waiting for a response. Picard found it hard to take in. Surely, there had to have been some reason. "And you have no idea how that happened?" Holding the human's gaze, he stated, "I have a few theories, but nothing certain." "Well, I think it's apparent you'll be here for at least some time. Perhaps a short tour would be in order?" A tour. He really wasn't in the mood for a tour. But, it would be better than staying here. "May we go by your sickbay at the end of this tour?" "If you wish," Picard told him. The Doctor was faintly surprised at the quick and casual response. "Then lead on." Picard turned and left, after which the Doctor followed, and Dr. Crusher left, mentioning she was going back to sickbay. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Sitting in Ten Forward, the Doctor stared out the window at the streaks of light. It was quite calming to watch--even if he knew his every movement was being followed. He didn't like it at all. Ace was still unconscious, and Dr. Crusher had assured him that he would be notified when she awoke. It was...strange being on this ship. So far, he had no idea just why he was here. That information was something he wanted to find out, and soon. He glanced across the room, focusing on the security officer before turning back to the window. One of his 'escorts' had followed, and now sat on the other side of the room. Thankfully, however, they were talking with another, and so not merely staring at him. He closed his eyes and just sat and listened. The room was busy, many people eating, drinking, and talking. He heard tidbits of some of the closer conversations. And, in more than one, were the mention of several unsolved disappearances. He tried to piece together information, but was interrupted when a woman with curly brown hair walked up to his table. "Do you mind if I sit here?" Troi asked, gesturing to the seat across from the man. He shook his head, straightening somewhat. She sat, and her eyes met his. There was something about her, almost as if she was studying him. Then, he felt a gentle prodding to his mind. "You're a telepath," he flatly stated. She wasn't surprised at his comment. From her attempts, she realized he had a barrier around his thoughts, something somewhat unusual, and something that on this level usually indicated a telepath. "I'm half Betazoid. And I'm actually more empathic than telepathic, but yes, you're right. How did you sense that?" "Let's just say I don't like others prodding my thoughts." "Is it a common trait among your people?" she asked, instinctively probing. When she felt his control tighten, she quickly apologized, "I'm sorry. It's a side effect of being Betazoid...as well as the ship's Counsellor. I'm Deanna Troi, by the way." He gave her a short nod. "And I'm sure you know who I am?" "The Doctor. And no, neither Picard nor Beverly asked me to talk to you. I just thought you might enjoy a little conversation." "What I would enjoy would be to not be here." She sensed his apprehension. It wasn't fear...just, as he said, he didn't want to be here. "Why? Is there something you know? Something you sense, perhaps?" "No, just something I suspect. It would be just like them to do this to me." "Just like who?" He had said too much, but it really wasn't a problem. "No one important, not here. If it's who I think, they'll reveal themselves soon enough." The Doctor stared past Troi, not really looking at anything. After a moment, she turned, trying to figure out what he was looking at. Seeing nothing, she looked back, only to find the table empty. She glanced to the door, catching just a glimpse of the Doctor before he vanished down the corridor. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. He walked, heading back to his quarters. The security officer wasn't following. The other must not have seen him leave...but that was fine with him. Suddenly, he saw the hooded figure he'd seen before. This time, he was unrestricted and changed course. The other, a man, turned and started away. The man disappeared through a set of doors, and arriving at them, he saw it was a holodeck. He'd remembered that part of the tour, and opened the door, stepping inside. A wind hit him, and he was somewhat surprised to find what appeared to be a small, simple room. It was different from the rest of the ship, but not like anything else he'd seen. But, the other occupant was what he was interested in. The hooded man turned to him, and then faded out of view, only to be replaced by another. This time, there was no doubt just what the other was with the somewhat simple but ornate maroon robes. The precise identity of the other was unknown, but it was obvious that he was a Time Lord like himself. "I'm not doing whatever it is you want me to do," he stated. "You are to do whatever you think is necessary for the situation. We know no more than you do at this point, only that something is terribly wrong, and that it involves an evil that we have defeated once, but possibly not again." As vague as ever. "And what 'situation' are you talking about? What is this evil?" he asked, figuring that since they were there, they could at least answer that. Just as the other was about to speak, alarm claxons began. The Time Lord stopped, simply stating, "You will know." The Doctor watched as the other Time Lord faded from view, the room reverting to yellow grid-lines on black. Seconds later, the door to the holodeck opened, several security officers entering, pulling their weapons. He faced them, but didn't make any other move. One, a non-human with ridges on his forehead, told the others to lower their weapons, and they then entered, looking around the room. "There was someone in here," Worf stated, looking down on the Doctor as the others continued their search. "Well, there isn't anymore, is there?" "You know what it is, don't you?" "Yes, and there won't be any more pop in visits, I'm afraid," the Doctor glumly answered. He and Ace were stuck here, and would be until whatever needed to be done, unfortunately. Without the TARDIS, there was no way to leave this ship and get back to his universe, something it was becoming quite clear this was not. Worf's communicator beeped, interrupting him. He hit it and found the Captain asking what was going on. "The intruder has left and the Doctor is here. I believe he knows who or what it was." "#Bring him to my office. His friend will be here as well.#" "Understood." Hitting his comm. badge again, Worf saw anger flash across the other's features. "We will go now." The Doctor hesitated, demanding, "Why was I not told Ace was awake?" "I do not know. Come." The officer's insistence was more than clear enough. At least Ace was okay. That was one plus in the middle of this mess. (03/12) Ace sat, impatiently, in the chair before the desk. On the other side was a balding man with greying hair, the Captain of this ship. That was all explained to her in sickbay. She was on the Enterprise, a starship from Earth in the year 2370. It didn't fit, but she suspected the Doctor would be able to explain that. Now, she just had to wait for him. "Professor!" Ace started as the door opened, admitting the Doctor, and then saw the...man with him. "What is *that*?" "Ace...." "I am a Klingon," Worf tersely stated, giving the girl a glare. "I am the chief security officer on this ship." "Worf, you may go." Picard waited, but the other didn't budge. "I don't think I have anything to worry about here, now do I, Doctor?" The Doctor just looked at the Klingon, waiting. After a moment, Worf suppressed a reaction and left the office. "Now, I'm not letting you leave until I have some kind of an answer. You two just show up here, and then another being pops up from nowhere. The ship's logs confirm that the life signs match yours almost exactly, Doctor. My question is, what are your people, and what are you doing on my ship?" The Doctor took a couple of steps further into the room, stopping behind the chair Ace was sitting in. "I assure you, there will be no more interruptions." "And just how do you know that? You still appear to be stranded here," the Captain stated. "Yes. By them. And, for the record, I know nothing more about this than you do, Captain," the Doctor further stated. Technically, he knew a little more, but nothing solid--nothing that wouldn't demand more questions. He held the Doctor's gaze. He knew there was more, but it was obvious that information wasn't going to be shared. "I find it hard to believe you have no idea what happened on board your ship." "We don't," Ace jumped in. "The TARDIS just stopped working, the room went jumbled, and we woke up here." Picard raised his eyebrow at the new term. "TARDIS? Is that the name of your ship?" "Type of ship, actually, but name as well," the Doctor corrected somewhat tersely. "Suffice it to say, she malfunctioned, probably caused by that recent visitor." "Which brings me to ask, what do they want?" "That is something I do not know. Only that they brought me and Ace here, to whatever universe this is, and that we're stuck here for an unspecified length of time." The new information piqued his interest. "A different universe?" "Yes. Or a different timeline--whichever you prefer." Seeing faint confusion on the other's face, he outlined, "Earth's history appears the same in both universes until the late twentieth century, where things start veering in different directions." "You're from the future, then, or from this time?" He was tired of these questions, and none of them would help them figure out what they needed to do. "Not from any time in particular." "Although I'm more or less from the twentieth century," Ace added, diverting Picard's attention to her for a moment. Leaning back, the Captain considered the bits presented to him. There was a lot more to them than they were telling, and he was starting to get somewhat annoyed. The man was possibly from the future, but quite apparently, not the future he knew...and certainly not Earth's future. He was aware that humans eventually learn to manipulate time, but this man wasn't human. His people, evidenced by their 'visitor' from a short time before, have very likely either discovered time travel or stole it from another culture--if he was even a time traveller at all. The man's appearance spoke nothing of advanced technology, yet it was obvious he was unfazed by any of their technology. The Doctor stiffened, asking, "May we leave, now? I don't think we have anything more to add." "Here, yes, although you will not be permitted to leave the ship." He didn't like the sound of that, but thankfully they weren't quite prisoners. "What about the guards?" "The security officers won't be watching you, not specifically. They will, however, be alerted to your presence, and I expect you both to behave." "Come on, Ace, I'll show you around a bit," he said, turning slightly toward the door. She stood, exiting the office, and then they both headed up to the turbolift on the back of the bridge. "Deck 10," the Doctor said as the lift doors slid shut. "What's there?" "Ten Forward. It's a gathering place. I heard something earlier that I want to find out more about. It might have something to do with why we're here." The ride down was quick, and soon they were walking down the corridor. "So, it was another Time Lord that did that to the TARDIS?" "Yes. I should have known earlier." The Doctor stopped outside of the main doors to Ten Forward. "Time for a little information gathering." They entered, and the Doctor proceeded across the room, sitting where he had sat before. "So, we're in a different universe. Neat ship, though." "Yes, it is. Earth seems to have advanced quite far in the last couple of centuries. The Federation is almost idealized...almost, but only on the surface." The Doctor scanned the room, his eyes settling on a man sitting alone a few tables away. "I'll be right back." He stood and approached the other table, asking, "Would you mind if I asked you a couple of things? I heard something earlier today, but wasn't sure if it was a rumour or not." The man indicated the chair across from him, stating, "Sure, I don't mind." "Thanks. I heard something about some disappearances...." *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Ace slumped in a chair, leaning on the table and watching the Doctor punch commands into the computer. "Professor, we just spent several hours in Ten Forward, and now you're looking up information on the computer? Can't we go to sleep or something...whatever happened to us made me tired." "The disappearances don't seem to have any specific links other than that over a certain time frame they're fairly localized. Not necessarily just on one planet, but in a general region of space." He put in the last few locations he remembered and asked the computer to map them. At first, it looked like one big region, but he fiddled with it a little, and about ten coloured areas could be seen. "What's with the colours? It wasn't that way a second ago." "Those are the different regions. The disappearances last for about six months to a year, then stop for a couple of weeks, and then move to another region. From what I've figured out, the victims are picked on purpose so that it's more difficult to realize they're actually missing. Nearly half that vanish are human, although many others have as well." "Is this what we were sent here for?" "That's my best guess. It's out of place, and you'd think that after seven years they would have put a stop to it if they knew what was going on. If not, I'm sure we'll figure it out." "So, where are we going, then?" "Nowhere. I think we're right where we need to be." He plotted another map, this time showing the Enterprise's location right in the middle of the most recent region. "We'll get off at the next stop and see what we can find out. But, offhand, I'd say we don't have to worry about being in the wrong place." "Okay...then where are we going? Anything interesting there?" He pulled up information on their destination, the computer complying, and stated, "Cellus Nine. It has a low population. It's primarily a Federation trading planet, but also has a fair amount of visitors. The planet's vegetation is somewhat unusual, often described as being 'living', and there is a garden up-kept by several of the inhabitants." "Living?" Thoughts of man-eating and walking plants dashed through her mind and she cringed. "I'm not sure I'd want to live there." "It's supposedly safe as long as you don't venture out of the city. The gardens are the best place to see the plants. They look a lot safer than some of the ones I've seen. I'm sure they'll be no trouble." She'd heard that before, not taking him at his word. Just because something looks relatively harmless doesn't mean it is--she'd learned at least that much travelling with the Doctor. "How long till we get there?" "Two and a half solar days." "Good," Ace said, standing. She was barely awake, and leaned against the table. "That means I can get some sleep before we get there. I'm exhausted." (04/12) Cellus Nine: The bustle of activity in the marketplace was refreshing, and he had made a point of stopping by every night when he woke. Nick leaned against the side of a building, looking out from under the overhang at the mixture of life forms as they casually went on about their daily business. The day was not quite over, the last vestiges of sunlight still stretching over the landscape. Like on Earth, the sun was his enemy. Although he didn't burn quite as bad here, he still burnt. A cloak rested around his shoulders, his only protection during his daily journey from home to the city. Because of the plants, flying or taking a shuttle were the only current options for travel between the two, although he didn't really mind it. One could make the journey on foot, but then there were the plants to deal with. Many of the planet's inhabitants also wore cloaks for protection from the cool, wet climate. Occasionally someone would stop, a human or perhaps a Nurian. The Nurians were from Nuria, a planet in the nearest neighbouring system. Along with humans, they were one of the main inhabitants of the planet. They arrived at the same time as the Federation, creating the small city he now stood in. The Nurians traded everything--textiles, technology, information, and more. They were similar to humans, the only visible difference being the violet vein-like markings that extended from the base of their neck, branching out and wrapping around their bodies. When around other races, often only the purple tips on the back of their hands were visible. "Nicholas, don't you ever tire of watching?" He turned, finding one of the Nurians approaching him. He flashed a faint smile. Ramsen, or Rams, as he insisted on being called, was one of the first that had approached him, noticing his silent observances of the others. "No, Rams, I don't. Watching has its own rewards." He looked back at the others, listening to the sounds of their hearts. As Rams' heartbeat came closer, its strong and quick beat interrupting him, he faced the elderly Nurian. "I take it your day has gone well?" "Yes, very. When the Enterprise arrives in a couple of days, my son will go with them to Nuria. He and some others are working on a trade deal with the Federation." His smile brightened somewhat, and so did Rams'. He knew Nuria was working on becoming a member of the Federation, and that it was, much as with other planets, very important to them. "Give him my luck if I do not see him." "Of course, Nicholas. Of course. And I will give you his thanks." He stood with the other, younger man, trying to watch the square as well. As a Nurian, he found it senseless to simply stand around, doing nothing, and he soon found himself distracted. Standing and talking, however, was much more interesting. "Myself and Rumson wish to extend our invitation to our home once more. Perhaps you could come for dinner and bring your father? My niece, I know, would be quite thrilled if both of you accepted." This was now the third time Rams and his son had invited him to dinner. He'd been to the Nurian's home on a couple of occasions, but for dinner.... "I'm sorry, Rams, but I'll have to decline." "Perhaps when Rumson returns then?" the Nurian asked, his eyebrows rising with the question. He nodded. "Perhaps." He really couldn't keep turning the other man down. Nurians were polite, and expected the same courtesies in return. He wished he were able to accept, and it was difficult to disappoint the other. Rams also nodded, a faint smile directed at his friend. "Don't spend too much time watching. One's life does not last an eternity." He watched Rams leave, the last remark hitting him. His life did. It had already spanned more than a thousand years, and he expected-- and planned--that it would span another. He enjoyed this life, and he enjoyed observing the mortal races around them. Yes, they would die, but that's what they did. Mortals died. Vampires lived and savoured the life they left out in the open. Nick smiled faintly and continued his earlier task, watching those around him, listening to their pulses. Nurians had a quicker heart, their body temperatures a touch higher than a human's as well. Their blood was richer, but one thing he had learned in the last couple of hundred years--a vampire could not survive off the blood of another race for long. He had to make sure he had a sufficient supply of human blood. If not, he would get sick from the alien blood, his body not able to convert the strange substance. One of the humans caught his attention, a woman he saw occasionally. She was quite tempting, and it would only be a simple matter to take her...but it was too dangerous to do something so rash. Dangerous, but very tempting. "What are you doing?" His smile brightened, but he didn't turn toward LaCroix. "Just looking...seeing if there's anything interesting that catches my eye." LaCroix stiffened. His son's thoughts were becoming dangerous of late. "It is unwise to act on our thoughts, Nicholas. You know that. Especially here, so close to our present home." "Yes, but this would be something new, something to break our pattern. It would be a challenge to take one of them." "Perhaps, but the risk is still too high. It would be safer to hunt away from this planet." His son nodded, and he smiled faintly. He, too, wished to hunt freely...but it was quite dangerous. "Where is Alya?" Nick nodded in the direction of a brown haired Nurian chatting with another woman, holding his gaze evenly on her. LaCroix spotted her, watching as she caught sight of them. He smiled and nodded to her, and a moment later, she approached. "Good evening, Lucien," she spoke, and then stood on her toes, kissing him, her lips lightly brushing his. He stiffened at her use of his first name, but knew she was merely teasing him. Nicholas, a grin on his face, seemed amused, and he shot his son a glare. "Good evening," he returned, bowing his head slightly. With a little more enthusiasm, Alya turned to Nicholas, grinning. Stepping closer, she put her hands on his shoulders, pulling him into a kiss. He reacted, and she felt his arms wrap around her. The fact that they were in public didn't matter to her, only that Nicholas was there. LaCroix smiled and watched as they separated, a smile on each of their faces. Alya had caught Nicholas' eye when they had arrived on this planet, nearly eight months ago. His son had watched her, and soon discovered that she, too, had seen him. The Nurian woman had fallen in love with Nicholas, and had approached Nicholas, startling him as he gazed at her. He had remembered the surprise on Nicholas' features. She was quite...interesting. While she often prodded Nicholas and himself about their family, about their past, she seemed to know when to stop. Her teasing, however.... She was much like his son, and they got along well. The two kissed again, and LaCroix felt as the younger vampire fought against the urge to take her. It was amusing. After killing Dr. Lambert nearly four hundred years ago, Nicholas had slowly, but surely returned to him. His son realized the mistake in falling in love with a mortal. This, although to an outsider looked just like that, was not. To Nicholas, Alya was a game. She would be his son's companion while they stayed on this planet, but no longer. At that time, she would either die or be made to forget about Nicholas--whichever would work. "How about we go to the gardens?" Alya asked, looking between the two. "The Itenins are blooming. You haven't seen them, yet. If you're trustworthy, they'll give you a kiss." Nick smiled, having heard of the plants. "Hmm...and if not?" "They'll still give you a kiss. They seem to like warm blooded life- forms," she said excitedly. Alya then reached out, grabbing each of the two's hands and pulling them toward the garden. LaCroix pulled his hand from hers, stating, "I think I'll let you two go on your own. I have some matters to take care of." Alya nodded, an abrupt calm coming over her. Then, as her energy returned, she pulled the other along, heading to the gardens. LaCroix just shook his head. Yes, Alya must have been quite a handful as a child--something she had barely outgrown. Alya was twenty-two years old. She was unmarried, unusual for a Nurian over twenty, but quite energetic. And she had her eye set firmly on Nicholas. He suppressed a laugh. The girl would never obtain her goal, even if Nicholas truly returned her feelings. Faintly, he wondered what she thought of Earth's myths of vampires...or what she'd think if she knew what they were. She neither knew much about them, nor would she know more in the future. (05/12) From further beneath the overhang, a form dressed almost identical to the two vampires stood, watching. When he'd arrived on this planet a week before, he'd believed it to be nothing more than a hassle--particularly regarding obtaining the parts and information he had needed to repair his TARDIS. Then, he'd quickly discovered it to be a trading planet, and its inhabitants were willing to trade just about anything. He'd seen Nicholas watch the square every night. There had been something about the human, something not quite right. He had watched, and even followed them to their home, a decent distance from the city. The plants made all but the most determined turn back, creating the perfect haven. It was the only complex on the planet not connected to the city, and was wonderfully isolated. And for good reason. He remembered his excitement upon discovering that the two weren't human, but a variation of human. Vampires--a species extinct in his own universe. Most were carnal, no more than animals. A few were more...but ultimately they were just parasites. But here, that wasn't quite the case. The two on this planet were far more than mere hunters. Oh...they hunted and they killed, but that was not the extent of their existent. They were intelligent, almost too intelligent for his liking. He'd discovered the purpose of their isolation--a complex holographic hunting ground--but then he had needed to leave. He'd been sensed. True, it had been shrugged off after a moment, but he'd been noticed. And now, he realized he'd been noticed again. He considered simply turning and leaving, but that would accomplish nothing. Instead, he remained as the vampire turned and faced him. "I'm somewhat surprised you tolerate your son's games," he stated, catching the other only somewhat off guard. "They are games. But then, what fun is life without a few? You seem to like to go where you have no business." "And you take great pride in being aware of that, don't you?" He smiled. Their single exchange already made him like this one more. "I know quite a bit about you and your son. In particular, what you are. Being a myth to the others helps, I'm sure." "Tell me what it is you want before I tire of you. If you know what I am, you should know of what I am capable." "Yes, quite. I'm interested in forming an alliance of sorts. Merely temporary, of course." LaCroix stiffened, not sure what to think. "And what would this be for?" "My secrecy of what you are and what you're doing in exchange for an isolated place, perhaps at your home, where I may fix my ship--I only need a corner." "Your secrecy can be obtained simply by ending your life." He had already considered that. "Yes, it could. But what would be the fun in that? Besides, I find your son rather amusing, and I think I could offer you both something." "And what would that be?" He smiled. "Unlimited travel, and that's all I'll say for now. Imagine what you and Nicholas could do with that. No more hiding from those around you." LaCroix was, he had to admit, tempted. It would give Nicholas what he wanted, and would make hunting much easier for them. "You may have your corner--as long as you do not interfere with anything. If you leak even a hint of information, either myself or Nicholas will kill you." His smile turned into a grin. "I don't think it will come to that." He extended his hand to the vampire. "I'm the Master, by the way." With only a hint of hesitation, LaCroix took the hand. He did not like the other's 'name', but he could deal with it. "Lucien LaCroix. I will introduce you to my son later. Perhaps you should gather your things?" The Master nodded, his grin remaining. "I trust you'll be there when I arrive. I hope you don't mind if my arrival is sudden." "Be discreet and do not damage anything. That is all I ask." With that, LaCroix turned and left, walking along the edge of the square for a short distance, and then crossed it. He watched the vampire, faintly surprised at how easy their conversation was. LaCroix would be quite...stunned when he arrived. But that was to be expected. It would, at the very least, pique the other's interest. He, too, left and headed for his TARDIS. A few more repairs and it should be able to make the short trip--even if it cost him a few more days on this planet, as the action would very possibly destroy whatever progress he had made. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Pouring himself a glass of blood, Nick passed the bottle to LaCroix. It was something he enjoyed about how he and LaCroix had decided to live--they had their own blood supply. Replicated blood, while it sustained them with more than enough nutrients, was bland. It tasted exactly like what was in it--a vitamin drink. No wonder the mortals had disliked such things. But, having a living supply of mortals helped with that. As long as only a little was taken at a time, they remained in good health, and could be reused. Nick took a sip of his glass as he headed into the neighbouring room. "You know, it's probably a good thing you didn't come with us. Those plants are...interesting. I think I'd rather have one trying to bite me than kiss me." "I take it Alya enjoyed herself?" "Yes, she did. She also enjoyed watching my annoyance at the plants." As a sound tried to make itself heard, Nick stopped, taking another swallow of the blood. It was coming from...the corner. He turned, the sound getting louder, fading out and then back in. At the same time, a column--a broken one, at that--faded into view. "LaCroix, something just...materialized in the corner." From the doorway, LaCroix raised an eyebrow. He'd seen the object appear, and although it did indeed materialize, it wasn't using a transporter beam. The sight intrigued him. So, this was the Master's 'ship'. "LaCroix?" Nick repeated, turning to his sire to find the other...amused. "I don't think we have to worry, Nicholas. Also, we'll be having a guest staying with us for a short while." Nick approached the other vampire, demanding, "A guest? You're letting someone stay here?" "So to speak." As a heartbeat...no, make that two heartbeats suddenly entered his senses, Nick turned around to find a slender man standing in front of the column. The man and LaCroix seemed to share in some kind of secret amusement at his confusion. "Who are you?" "The Master. A...friend, if you will, of your sire." Obviously to Nick, this man, whoever and whatever he was, knew they were vampires. "A friend?" he asked, turning to LaCroix. "Of a sort. He's going to repair his ship--that column in the corner I presume--and will be our guest." Nick stiffened, his eyes glowing golden. He didn't like this, nor did he agree with the trust LaCroix was extending to this man. LaCroix put his hand on his son's shoulder. "Nicholas...I have spoken with him, and he will not speak of what we're doing or what we are. If he does, then you may rip him limb from limb, but not beforehand." The Master smiled at the two, seeing Nicholas relax, but only faintly. They would get along fine--perfectly fine. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Three days later on Cellus Nine: The Doctor, Ace, and several others arrived on the planet's surface by transporter. "Wicked," Ace commented as she followed the Doctor, who was unfazed by the trip. In fact, he was already chatting with one of the inhabitants...but only for a moment. As he stuck something in his pocket, she asked, "How did you manage to convince Picard to let us come, anyway? He said we weren't going to be allowed to leave the ship." "Yes, well...." "Well what?" "When the Enterprise returns from Nuria, the ship will be coming back." "And you promised him we'll be back on the Enterprise," Ace added. He nodded. "Exactly." "So, how long do we have to figure out what we're doing?" "One...two weeks max." The Doctor led the way into a square where food and items were being traded. Several others had gotten off the Enterprise at Cellus Nine, making the number of people nearly double that of a normal day. "Well, if we're going to be here for that long, we should probably find somewhere to stay." "Hmm, yes, that would be a good idea." He pulls several items out of his pocket, giving Ace several. "There, that should be plenty for now." "What are these?" "Federation credits. It’s the currency used on this planet. I traded some other things for them from that Nurian I talked to when we got here. I knew there was a use for some of that stuff." She looked around. All she saw were more humans. "Nurian? You mean from that planet the Enterprise is going to?" "Yes, Nurian. There are quite a few of them here. They probably make up a good eighty percent of the planet's inhabitants. Now, let's go find somewhere to stay." "How about I go do that? I'll find a place and you can look around a little." "Just don't stray. Remember that the plant life isn't friendly outside the city." "Don't worry, Professor. I'll be right back." He nodded, watching as she started off, soon ending up out of sight. The city itself wasn't extremely large, but it did hold the entire planet's population. At least that meant it should be simple to find out what they wanted to know. The square was large, open in the very centre. There were some plants, but they were in pots at about shoulder height, their leaves swaying despite there presently being no breeze. The sun was nearly down, and he walked around the square, looking at the different shops. Most were specific to the needs of those on the planet, but most had a few other things as well. It was...normal. Nothing seemed out of place. It was just a normal planet, seemingly free of any trouble. Looking around, his eyes caught on a blond haired man a short distance away. The man stared across the square, simply watching. Everyone else was going about his or her business, everyone but him. It was difficult to tell whether the man was a Human or Nurian, as he was dressed in similar clothes to the other inhabitants of the planet. The only difference was that all of his clothes were black, most of the others wearing a combination of several dark colours. The Nurians seemed a happy, pleasant race, and between that and the fact that the man was standing eerily still, the Doctor was almost positive he was human. But, even the humans on this planet didn't simply stare and watch. "Professor?" "Hmm?" he turned and looked at Ace. "Did you find somewhere?" "Not really. Everything is full, but one of the Nurians invited me to his home, said that we could stay there." "Did you get directions?" "He's waiting across the square. Ramsen said he could show us the way there now, if we'd like." "Yes, that would be fine." He turned, finding the man gone, not a sign of him ever being there. He shook his head, wondering if he'd even seen the man, and then walked with Ace to meet the Nurian that had offered his hospitality. (06/12) Nick landed just outside of the building he and LaCroix had made their home--their home and hunting grounds. His eyes burned faintly amber, thoughts rushing through his mind. The flight here wasn't a great distance, but the sun wasn't quite down, which made it seem quite further. That, and he'd made the trip more than once in the last several minutes. There was just enough space between here and the main city to make the residents there not make the journey out here--especially considering the only way out here was either by shuttle, or walking. The planet didn't have a transporter system, and the shuttles were rarely used except for when a trip to Nuria or somewhere else was needed. It was somewhat of an inconvenience, but being able to fly helped with that. Being able to fly helped quite a bit...he didn't have to worry about the plants. They seemed friendly enough, gently swaying, occasionally poking someone if they get too close...but if they surrounded you, they just about suffocate you with their prodding and curiousness. It was funny--plants that were curious. If you hurt them, they would react. It was like an eye for an eye. If you hit them--they hit back. But only once...if you only hit them once, that is. It was quite interesting. Making his way inside, he spotted the Master sitting at a table, tinkering with several devices. By the frustration on the man's face, he guessed it was part of what was wrong with his ship. The other didn't look up at him, and he just continued across the room to where LaCroix stood, watching as he approached. "You look in the mood to hunt," LaCroix commented. The Master looked up, glancing over at the younger vampire. Indeed, LaCroix' son seemed to have an air about him. He smiled, and the other's eyes glowed. Yes, Nicholas was most definitely ready to hunt. "Perhaps, but I want a challenge tonight. I want a worthy opponent." His eyes still locked with the vampire's, the Master commented, "If you're talking about me, I believe I am currently a guest of yours. It's not polite to kill one's company." "Who said anything about being polite? Besides, I'm in the mood for human quarry...not whatever you are. No Masters of...broken gadgets, such as you have there, are on my list today." The other's words were almost too much. Yes, this vampire was an accomplished hunter by definition, but how would he, or the other, for that matter, fair against himself? LaCroix watched as the two stared at one another, each with a murderous glint in their eyes. He grinned, this stranger bringing a dark side of Nicholas to the surface that wasn't often shown-- particularly to strangers. Not only that, but Nicholas was prodding the other. He had no problem with the other bothering this Master of...whatever. He walked up to his son, putting a hand on the younger vampire's shoulder. "Come, Nicholas. I think I know just the diversion you need." With a faint smile, Nick turned away from the Master, allowing LaCroix to lead him away and out of the room. They headed across the building, leaving the living quarters. As LaCroix approached a consol, Nick commented, "I want something different, LaCroix. And I want a challenge." "So you have said. Don't worry, I have an idea." LaCroix punched in a few commands, then stated, "Get ready, your quarry will be released shortly." Nick spun on his heal, practically flying from the control room. He left, heading to a set of doors down a hallway. He closed his eyes and waited, wondering what he would find on the other side. Several minutes passed, and then the doors opened for him to reveal a stone corridor. Stepping inside, the doors slid shut, a wall forming behind him. He started to make his way down the corridor, listening and waiting. Soon, a heartbeat was audible to him. It was faint, but definitely human. He just had to find it. The generated hunting grounds were a maze of corridors...corridors that changed at random. A wall to his side suddenly disappeared, and he took off down the new path that was revealed, trying to get closer to the mortal. The heartbeat was quick and frantic. The mortal knew he was being hunted. Question was, would this really be a challenge? He continued forward, wondering just what LaCroix had in store for him. The mortal would have to be armed, but armed with what? And, for that matter, would they know how to use the weapon or weapons they were supplied with? His lips twisted into a smile as he started to near his target. He had found his prey. Now, he just needed to catch it. Turning a corner, he came face to face with...a hologram. In the distance, he could see his target turning a corner. So, this was LaCroix' idea of a challenge. A hologram stood blocking his way. The only problem was that this hologram was armed with a bow and arrow, and a dagger and stake could be seen slipped into the other man's belt. One of the arrows was quickly dispensed, flying at him. He slid out of the way just before it sliced through his previous location. Another was released, and this one he caught, breaking its wooded shaft between his fingers. What was nice about holograms like this...they reacted, not like machines, but like an actual opponent. If a hologram's blood didn't taste so bland...not much better than replicated blood, for that's all it really was...he'd hunt more often like this. As it were, live opponents were much tastier. Nick flashed his fangs at the man, the human, while moving out of the path of another arrow. He moved into the man's combat range, the bow and arrow being dropped, the stake and dagger at the ready instead. He pulled back as the blade was swung at him, his reflexes having been honed over the last many years. That was the one redeeming quality of holograms--they could be at almost any skill level one wanted. His opponent swung again, this time just grazing his shoulder. He winced, blood soaking into his shirt. And yet, a smile came to his face. LaCroix had the safeties off, which meant the hologram could kill him. It made this all the more enjoyable. Another swing came at him, this time with the stake. He avoided it easily, catching its descent and twisting it from the man's hand. He then grabbed the knife before it could slice him again, stabbing it through the man who then ceased his attack. It was almost too easy. That's when he noticed it--something just out of the corner of his eye. It was another hologram. He silently cursed to himself, realizing he didn't have enough time to react. A piece of wood came down hard into his back, forcing its way through his shoulder. He struck back, his anger at his slip fuelling him, knocking the man into the stone surface behind him. Grabbing a fallen arrow, he quickly slid it through the chest of his second attacker, killing him. In a second, the two bodies vanished from sight. Nick yanked the wood out of his shoulder, throwing it to the ground. He shouldn't have allowed that to happen...even if there had been no way to know the other was there. His sight had been his only warning...LaCroix was adding to the game by making his opponent silent. Come to think of it, the first opponent hadn't made a noise either. He continued down the corridor, all the while thinking up what he could do when it was his turn behind the controls. He could think up his own challenges...ones that even LaCroix wouldn't be able to get around. The heartbeat again started closer, and he again hit another opponent. Running on his adrenaline, he quickly defeated them, and after quite some time, finally managed to corner the mortal man. The mortal was armed with an old fashioned gun, but he knew there had to be a twist to it. When it was fired and the bullet sliced through his side, he knew what it was--wood. The bullets were fast enough that they were almost impossible to completely dodge, and he felt another graze him. As the gun ran out of ammunition, his golden eyes turned scarlet, his fangs descending as he snarled at the human. The wall behind the mortal disappeared, and the man ran. He followed, but was cut off. Quickly, he restarted the chase, and soon he was again facing the mortal. His muscles were tiring, his energy just past its peak. He didn't have much longer before he would begin to make mistakes. He had to finish this, and quickly. The mortal was aware of his tiring...something that if it wasn't for the injuries LaCroix' holograms caused, would be no trouble. But then, the mortal would have been long drained by now, too. The thrill of killing the others had only heightened his senses, increasing his want of his prey. Nick licked the tips of his fangs as a show to the mortal. He visibly saw the other's fear rise, and he approached. The man took a step back, a dagger held shakily in front of him. "Why are you doing this? I've done nothing to you. Neither have the others you keep prisoner here!" "Perhaps, but I'd suggest running...unless you'd like to die where you stand." "If I am to die, I'm going to be facing my enemy." Nick smiled, giving a single nod. "Very well, I think that can be managed." Slowly continuing his advance, an idea flitted into his thoughts, his lips curling upward more. This man's blood would be enjoyable no matter how he died, but.... He approached, for the most part ignoring the dagger. He pounced forward, practically impaling himself on the short blade. The man released the handle, stepping back at what had just happened. At first, pain was the only emotion on Nick's features...then it quickly returned to a smile as he pulled the blade effortlessly from him. He snarled, baring his fangs. The man's terror was most satisfying at that. Flying forward, Nick sank his fangs into the man's neck, taking his prize, drinking until there was nothing left. Slowly, he let the dead mortal fall to the ground. He took several deep breaths and closed his eyes, feeling the warm blood inside him. A content smile rested on his lips. He had needed this...but now he only wished to hunt again. He'd have to wait, but this was enough for now. With that, he turned, the doors opening for him, and he left the room. Nick went back to the control room, finding LaCroix shutting down the program...as well as the Master standing nearby. His anger rose, his eyes burning gold. "That was quite interesting..." the Master mentioned. "I personally wouldn't have done the last action, but by the expression on your face I'd say it had a purpose to it." "Fear in the blood is quite satisfying," Nick said with a glint in his eyes. "Ah...and fear after the rush of feeling safe is even more, isn't it?" Nick simply smiled, turning to LaCroix. "Next time, I'll have a few surprises in for you." "Really? I'd ask, but that would spoil the fun, wouldn't it?" LaCroix commented, curious as to just what Nicholas was planning. A moment later, he turned to the other, asking, "May we ask what this ship of yours does? I take it something like it is what you were talking about when we first met." Nick, thoroughly interested as he was unaware of what was discussed in that conversation, faced the other and waited. Smiling, the Master considered what he should say. This was a different universe, so what if they knew what he was and what his ship was. "It's a...time ship, if you will. It travels both in the time and space continuum. What you saw yesterday, is how the TARDIS normally travels, albeit a bit rough." "So this is your unlimited travel...yes, I do see how this could be useful for us. But what's the catch?" LaCroix prodded, walking a semicircle around the other. "Neither myself nor Nicholas are willing to take up such an offer without more information. We don't even know what you are." "A time traveller, obviously. A Time Lord. Our people discovered time travel quite some time ago in my history. Age-wise, I'm a couple of centuries shy of Nicholas here...and plan to live quite a while longer." "And you're offering this in return for...?" "Assistance in a little plan of mine. You come with me back to my universe...and I give you free reign of it. Vampires are extinct, destroyed by my people in a long bloody war. Ever since, my people have become weak. I assure you, you will have no bounds on your travel. You can go anywhere...and any time. No constraints." "And how do we know you're not one of those that destroyed the vampires of your universe?" Nick jumped in, glaring at the other. "Technically, you don't. You just have to trust me." He didn't like this man, this Time Lord, one bit. Trust was not something to be extended lightly. Nick snarled, closing the distance between them. "We don't have to wait, Time Lord. One's blood tells all." He spared a glance at his sire, asking, "LaCroix?" "Find out if he tells the truth, then we shall consider this 'offer'." Nick closed in, feeling a hint of panic from the other...but not fear. He saw some device aimed at him, but grabbed the Master's arm, pointing the short, black rod away. It went off a second later, a curtain off the far wall vanishing. Turning in that direction, LaCroix saw that it hadn't quite vanished...but it was now no more than a scrap of fabric. He pulled the device from the Master's hand, confiscating it. "That doesn't help inspire any trust from us. Find out, Nicholas, and do not spare him any pain." Now, the Master became a little nervous. He had underestimated these vampires. Their reflexes were just a little quicker than he had expected. He held his position, glaring at the younger of the two vampires as the distance between them decreased. Then, Nicholas practically disappeared, and a second later, he felt a hand roughly push his head to the side, two sharp points biting into him. If this is what he had to do to bring them to his way of thinking, so be it. His blood was being taken, and he tried his best to not fight it. Nick drank up the blood, caught by its flavour. This man's blood...its taste made him very tempted to completely drain him. Yet, he'd taken the information he had needed. While he was still marginally in control, he released his grip, taking a step back and licking the blood from his lips and teeth. It took him a moment to regain his control, the blood unexpectedly appealing to him. LaCroix moved closer to his son, prodding, "Well, Nicholas?" "His words are truthful." Nick took a little longer, and then let his appearance change back to normal. "His people gave up killing others after killing all of the vampires of his universe. They are now, with only a handful of exceptions, a scholarly and dull race. His people have had the knowledge of time travel since roughly that period in his planet's history. His offer is genuine." "If there are no vampires in your universe, why do you want to reintroduce our race?" "Because, frankly, your kind--particularly you two--are intelligent. A race of intelligent hunters would be more than welcome, and much longer lived, than the pathetic vampires that once lived in the past. They were too depended on the Great Ones." He paused, figuring he might as well explain to LaCroix, rather than have more blood taken. "The Great Ones were enormous creatures that were very difficult to kill; they controlled their servants, usually humans, which they offered eternal life too. You, however, are independent creatures, and can move from place to place with ease, completely unknown. Humans infest the galaxy in my universe, and killing a few would probably help matters more than anything. As long as you don't take it over, I think you'll be left alone." LaCroix was wary of the Time Lord's words. It was tempting, but there had to be some unknown catch. Perhaps the Master was telling the truth, but the question was; was he hiding anything? "Fix your ship. In the meantime, myself and Nicholas will consider your offer." The Master stood in place, having half-expected the other to accept. Yet, it just showed he had again underestimated them. He smiled. They were not ignorant creatures, that was for sure. He gave a nod to each of them, then turned and left, heading back to his TARDIS to consider matters. (07/12) The Doctor stared across the square, disappointed. He had thoroughly searched the city, finding nothing out of place. All that was left now, was to ask some questions...he just had to figure out what questions to ask, and to whom. So, he resumed his gaze through the square, looking for something, anything out of place, and thinking. "Another watcher." He turned, finding Rams watching him with a smile. "Ah, it's you," he started, realizing who it was. "I want to thank you for taking myself and Ace in." "It's no trouble. I'm only glad that you decided to take my hospitality. Although...you remind me of a friend of mine. He's human, another watcher like yourself." "Watcher?" "You watch the square, waiting for something, looking for something," Rams said, his hand gesturing to the open area. He then turned slightly, facing down the side of the square. "My friend Nicholas, over there, does the same thing every night." The Doctor turned to where Rams was looking, and spied the man he had seen the night before. Just like the last time, the blond man looked off at the others, the one oddity he had seen. "Perhaps I could talk to him," he said, starting toward the man. Rams stopped him, commenting, "Doctor, he does not trust easily. He will not speak with you." "I can, however, try." "Perhaps. But I have tried many times to get him to accept my hospitality. Not once has he accepted my dinner invitation, despite his interest in my niece. He would much rather watch than talk." Rams shook his head at the Doctor. "Well, if you can catch him, perhaps ask him to dinner--it may actually work." The Doctor stared after the old man, watching as the Nurian walked off. From the sound of it, it would be the equivalent of a miracle to speak with the other, but that certainly wouldn't prevent him from attempting to. He started down under the overhang, keeping his attention on the man, Nicholas. Nearly there, a group of Nurians walked between them, and once they had passed, he found that the place Nicholas had just been was now empty. He slowed his pace, looking for the other man. He had no luck, the other having disappeared without a trace. Disappeared without a trace. It hit him, his want to speak with the man greater than before. Yet, that didn't seem likely to happen. Either he had very bad timing, or Nicholas knew he was being watched. Then, he recalled something Rams had said to him. 'Not once has he accepted my dinner invitation, despite his interest in my niece.' He did remember Rams' niece, Alya, mentioning the man earlier that day. The Doctor searched the crowd, this time looking for the young Nurian. Soon, he found her, talking with some others. He approached, stopping just off to the side of them. "Alya? I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions." Alya looked to him, and then told her friends, "This is the Doctor. He is staying with my family for a few days." The Doctor nodded as the two other women introduced themselves. Alya told them goodbye, and once they had left, he asked, "Your friend, Nicholas...." "What about him? Have you seen him?" "Yes, a few minutes ago, actually." He watched as she looked around, quickly telling her, "I'm afraid I scared him off. I was trying to talk to him." "Ah...yes, Nicholas doesn't always take kindly to those he doesn't know. It took quite a bit before he opened up to me, and even longer before I could get him and my uncle to talk. However, they seemed to have taken to one another." "You seem pleased at that." "Yes." She blushed, looking down for a moment. "I'm hoping that Nicholas will ask me to join with him, but...he avoids the topic." "Hmm...and avoids dinner too, doesn't he?" Her cheeks went redder, and she nodded. "Yes, he does. Come, let us walk." She started back under the overhang and down one of the streets leading away from the square. "What did you wish to know about Nicholas?" He was a little surprised for her to be so polite, but...he wasn't going to lose a chance to learn something. "When did he arrive here? I take it this was somewhat recently." "Yes, relatively. Nicholas and his father arrived a half of this planet's cycle ago. I believe that is about eight Earth months." "Did they arrive alone?" She shook her head. "No, there were about thirty other new residents that came about the same time they did. At first, I rarely saw either of them, just Nicholas in the square at about this time. He would watch me." He smiled, wishing he could talk with her on more mundane matters, but.... "What about his father? Have you seen him?" "Yes, he comes here with Nicholas often. They are very close." Something didn't sit right with that. "Comes here? I thought this city was the only inhabitation on the planet." "Oh, it is. There's also a building a little ways into the plants. It was left here a short while before Nicholas' arrival. The Federation used it to study the plants, to see how they reacted to different things, and to see if they were a danger to the inhabitants here. They left when they had concluded that the plants were relatively safe, and they left their building. Apparently, Nicholas' father must have bought the building, or arranged something with the Federation...or maybe it was Nicholas...I really don't know. I've never been there, and Nicholas doesn't like talking about it." "Hmm...." The Doctor kept walking, wondering just what was so secret about it. It was obvious there was something to it, but...could the two just want privacy, or could that be where those that have been disappearing were being taken? "Doctor?" "Yes?" he said, coming out of his thoughts. "Nicholas is a good man. So is his father. Perhaps I can get Nicholas to come by my uncle's or met you sometime? It wouldn't be any trouble, and I'm sure you'll see what I mean." "Perhaps." He honestly wasn't sure about Nicholas. The man was out of place among the others...and so what his residence. The two were very possibly what he was looking for. He smiled, more to himself than the other, suggesting, "How about we head back? I believe Rams mentioned dinner would be ready in a short while." She looked around, then sadly nodded, letting the Doctor lead the way back to her uncle's. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. "LaCroix, I must speak with you," Nick insisted as his sire sipped from a glass of blood. He spared a glance at the Master, trying to pull the elder vampire away. "Someone has been watching me. A man. I saw Rams talking to him. Apparently, he and his companion, a girl, are staying with him." Tensing just slightly, LaCroix also glanced to their guest before speaking. "Do you know their names?" "Not the girl's. Rams called the man 'Doctor' once." The Master looked up, scowling somewhat. "What did he look like?" "Shorter than me, he had on strange clothes. They reminded me of twentieth century Earth." "So, the Doctor is here." This would complicate matters greatly. The Doctor was nothing more than a thorn in his side, and he would never manage to do what he planned with him there. LaCroix stepped closer, demanding, "Who is this 'Doctor'?" "One of my people. My opposite. If he's here, then he very probably knows I'm here. Either that, or he just randomly crashed here. I wouldn't be that surprised, really...I was trying to land on Earth when I ended up here. Somehow, I managed to switch universes. Considering Earth is the Doctor's favourite planet, perhaps he fell in the same trap as me. I really don't care--as long as I'm gone before he finds me here." "And what will he think of this?" LaCroix asked, gesturing to the area around him. "Your little hunting field? Well, when he discovers what you are, I'm sure he won't be thrilled at all. If he finds this place, be prepared for trouble...although I don't know if he'll involve others or not. Offhand, I would say no." "Good. Then we'll deal with him when we need to. Finish your repairs." LaCroix then turned to his son. "Nicholas...come with me." Nick followed his sire, soon arriving in the control room. "What are we going to do?" "Don't change anything. If you see this Doctor...watch him, and make sure he doesn't start coming around here. If he does...lead him back to the city. I'll keep watch here." "He may have spoken with Alya. She is Rams' niece." "She doesn't know enough. Only enough to cause more questions...which I have a feeling this Doctor will only try to find answers. Watch him, and watch yourself. We should probably begin preparations for leaving this planet. We will need to kill those here, but not yet. I want to know what this Doctor is up to." Nick nodded, heading back to the other room. He got himself a glass of replicated blood, quickly drinking the bland liquid before flying back to the city. (08/12) Several days later, the Doctor stood in the square, watching Nicholas. He'd gone through records on the planet that discussed the purpose of the building, its location, and more. He also looked for any information he could find on Nicholas and his father. The younger man's full name was Nicholas de Brabant--clearly an Earth name. The elder's name was Lucien LaCroix. For supposedly being human, and father and son, it was unusual that their names would be different. Not only that, but other than eye colour and complexion, they had little in common. They were also merely a decade apart in age. Something most certainly was not right. He continued his observation, wondering just what was on the other's mind. "Professor?" "Hmm?" he said, not turning to look at Ace. "We should get back to Rams'. He said there's a storm coming, and that it's dangerous to be out in them." He nodded. He would leave; although he would much rather talk with Nicholas. Or better yet, find out why he and his 'father' kept so much to themselves. He saw Ace take a few steps, then turn back. "I'm coming, Ace. I'd much rather stay, but I'm coming." "It's that man, isn't it? The one you were looking at. Is he part of why we're here?" He turned back to Nicholas for a moment, and again nodded, walking with Ace back in the direction of Rams' home. "I believe so. He seems nice enough...but there's something to him. Something sinister...something I can't seem to put my finger on." "You can figure it out when the storm passes. Apparently, they're nasty--wind and ice nasty. They only get them this time of the year, and, in case you haven't noticed, we're the only ones out here." That caught his attention. He looked around and noticed that, indeed, they were the only ones out. It was just them...and Nicholas. Already the wind was starting to pick up. Faintly, he wondered if the other had left yet, but Ace was right--they did need to get inside. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Nick held his eyes tightly closed. The Doctor had left. Yet, from his conversation with his companion, it was obvious the Doctor knew at least something about what was happening on this planet, and that he was involved in it. With them gone, he was alone in the square. The quiet relaxed him. It was refreshing to be alone without any heartbeats around, if even for a little while. Then, he heard a single heartbeat approaching. He easily recognized it, turning as its owner arrived. "Alya, you shouldn't be out." "And you should? Nicholas, a storm is coming." "I know that. You should be inside." "No, we should both be inside. Come with me, you don't have enough time to get back to your home. You can stay with me at my uncle's." Knowing that the Doctor was staying there, he hesitated. He didn't want to be stuck there, but realized he had little choice. Alya didn't know what he was, and if he refused, Rams would surely demand that he stay. The wind picked up more, the plants that were visible preparing for the storm, their leaves rolling up, minimizing the surface area available to them. Then, it started to rain. Nick pulled Alya with him out of the open. He could see her fear. The storm had already arrived, but they weren't under shelter. Alya's clothes would only handle the storm so well, and instinctually he took off his cloak, wrapping it around her, covering her completely. She protested, but then he started heading for Rams', and she had no choice but to keep up. The rain got colder, and soon ice was coming down. Now, they just needed to get inside. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Ace saw Rams pacing in front of the door, and she approached. "What's wrong?" "Alya is not here, that's what's wrong!" he said, raising his voice. He took in a deep breath, calming. "She probably went after Nicholas, to make sure he wasn't in the square." "He was there, Rams," the Doctor stated. The Nurian shook his head, a sad smile showing itself. "Foolish human. He doesn't have much care for what happens to him. The only problem with that is that Alya cares more for him than herself. She's going to get hurt because of him, but...." He stopped, and then simply stated, "The storm has arrived, and I can't lose her. I've already lost my wife and my sister--her mother. Her father lives on Nuria. He would never be able to handle her death either." A particularly strong gust of wind beat against the building, just barely being heard through the walls. No one moved right away, and then a few minutes later, the door opened. Nick carried a bundled up Alya into the room, past those present, lying her down on the floor. He pulled the frozen cloak off her, revealing her shivering form. "Alya, how do you feel?" "I'm a little cold," she said, reaching out for him. He took her hands, laying them on her stomach. "Just rest. I'll go get something warm for you to drink." Nick stood, but found Rams stopping him from going anywhere. "I think you should take care of yourself, Nicholas. You need to get out of those clothes. Go to my son's room and get yourself dry." Standing there, Nick realized that he, too, was shivering. He hadn't even noticed it until now. He tried to make himself stop, but it started up again a moment later. He'd recover, he knew that, but they didn't. He nodded, heading further into the house. Rams waited until Nicholas had left the room, then got some warm water for Alya, and returned. He helped her sit up and drink the liquid, and after several minutes, her shivering stopped. The Doctor watched, pleased to see that the young woman was recovering. Being covered by the cloak had certainly helped to keep her dry, and so had Nicholas carrying her. But, that had left the other to be pelted by the wind and water. He turned, heading in the direction the other had recently gone in. He stopped at a mostly closed door, hesitating before entering. "Nicholas?" he called, but didn't get an answer. Pushing the door open, he found the other man on his hands and knees, and rushed over. As soon as he felt the other's hands on his shoulders, Nick nearly hissed, "Don't touch me!" as he pulled away. "I'll be fine. Please-- leave and close the door." "Alya's lucky, and I think you know that. The storm could have killed her." The Doctor watched as the other continued to shiver. Yet, after a short time, Nicholas stood, confirming that the other was at least well enough to move. "Please, leave. Tell Alya that I'll be fine. I'll be out in a moment," Nick said, waiting for the Time Lord to leave, the other's double heartbeat tempting him, his body demanding warm blood. When the other finally did so, he started to strip off his wet clothes, knowing that his hunger would settle once he was dry. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Alya, now sitting on a couch with her uncle's arms and a blanket wrapped around her, immediately focused in on the Doctor as he approached. "How is he?" He paused, turning to Ace, who was sitting nearby, and then back to Alya. "He'll be fine. He said he'd only be a little while." "You shouldn't have been out there, Alya." She pulled away from her uncle slightly, telling him, "I had to go. I knew he'd be out there. He's always there right at sunset. Everyday. I...I didn't want something to happen to him." Rams pulled her closer, rocking her. "I know, I know. I just don't want to see anything to happen to you, either." As the Doctor came to sit near her, Ace whispered, "How is he, really? He looked like an ice block when he came in--ice all over him. And he was shivering...I haven't seen too many people shiver like that." The door from the room opened, Nick approaching those gathered. "From the looks of it, I'd say he's fine," the Doctor answered, watching as the other looked at him when he spoke...despite speaking in a whisper. "Nicholas!" Alya exclaimed, practically jumping off the couch and going to the other. She wrapped her arms around him, kissing him lightly on the lips. But.... Her fingers went up to his face, touching the cold skin. They brushed against his lips before he pulled her hands away with his, that flesh being cold as well. "Nicholas, you're so cold." She tried to turn, but he wouldn't let her. "Please, let me get my glass of water. You should have some. It's nice and warm." "I'll be fine. I'll get myself something to drink, okay? Go sit with your uncle, I'll be right back." Nick easily slipped away from her and quickly headed to another room. Walking up to the replicator, he punched in a few commands, a glass of warm blood appearing a few seconds later. He absently hit a few more buttons, and then picked up the mug. He took a swallow of it, his eyes flashing gold for a second despite the blood's flat taste. When he changed back to normal, he headed to the other room, carefully holding onto the mug. "I hope Rumson doesn't mind me borrowing some of his clothes." "I'm sure my son would not mind. Please, Nicholas, sit. You look like you're going to fall over." The Doctor watched the other sit down. "From what I've been told, it's suicidal staying out in those storms." After making himself somewhat comfortable, Nick replied, "What does it matter to you? You're a stranger to this planet, a stranger to us." Rams watched as Nicholas' anger slowly reared its head. He'd seen it like this before, on occasion when the other was frustrated. "Nicholas...they are my guests, and they are only concerned." Nick met the Nurian's gaze, and nodded. Then, he stood. "I think I'm going to head to bed--I'm a bit tired." Rams nodded, agreeing. "Yes, that is probably best. You should take Rumson's room, Nicholas." The younger man left, heading back into the room he'd just come out of a few minutes before. Rams then turned to his niece, telling her, "You should rest too, Alya." She stood, pulling the blanket around her. Alya said goodnight to her uncle, and then to both of his guests. Then, she walked slowly to her room, her glass in her hand. A few moments after Alya's door closed, Rams shook his head. "Those two...they really need a talking too, that's what they need. Alya is taken with Nicholas, and, sometimes, I'm not sure if he shares her feelings." "Yes, I've noticed." The Doctor looked to the door Nicholas had disappeared behind, asking, "What do you know about Nicholas? Really?" "He's a bit foolish for a human, but he's not careless--not when it comes to others." "No, no, no...what do you know about him, in general?" "In general?" Rams paused. That was a bit more difficult. He didn't like giving out too much information about the other, as he was a friend, but figured the two would know already. "Nicholas and his father live outside the city. He spends all day there, and usually comes here for the first part of the night. Only occasionally does his father accompany them. They're both much alike. You probably don't want to get on either of their nerves, but they're decent people. They just want to be left in peace--which you don't seem to want to allow." The Doctor stiffened somewhat not meaning to have, apparently, offended the Nurian. He then watched as Rams stood and turned around. "Have you heard anything about disappearances?" he asked, gently prodding further. "Here? On Cellus Nine? No, I haven't. I know there was on Nuria, but not here. Why?" "Just curious." Rams took in a deep breath. "Well, I'm going to get something to eat. You may join me if you wish." The Doctor nodded, and both he and Ace stood, following the Nurian into the other room. (09/12) The next morning, the Doctor and Ace sat in the kitchen talking in whispers. "I want to see what's at this building when the storm clears," the Doctor said. "Don't you think you should...I don't know, I mean, you could ask him if he could take you there. It'd be better than breaking in." "I'm hoping not to go that far. Besides, it's supposed to clear tonight. I want you to stay here in case someone asks where I am. If so, say I'm in the garden or something." "Why are you telling me this now? By the time, it's barely day outside." "Because I'm not going to tell you when I leave. I don't want Rams to know right away. But, I want to see what's so special that they have to be isolated from everyone else. There has to be a reason. And there has to be a reason this planet is the only one in this region that hasn't had anyone disappear, and why it's nearly in the centre of the disappearances. There's a lot more to Nicholas that meets the eye." "So you keep saying. Come on, what are you thinking, Professor?" He paced the room, stating, "He wiped the replicator logs last night after he got his drink." "What?" "I tried to recall the information on what he got, but the only thing in the logs was our dinner. Before that, it was 'error: no data' or some other bit of nonsense. He doesn't want anyone to know what he drank." "Okay...so what does that have to do with any of this?" "I don't know, just that it does!" he exclaimed becoming frustrated. "But, I'm going to find out. Nicholas de Brabant isn't going to be a mystery much longer...nor his 'father', either." *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Alya stood in the other room, listening in on the conversation, trying to catch as much as she could. They were investigating Nicholas. It angered her...but only a little. Could he be hiding something? In truth, it was possible...Nicholas did hide things from her--she knew that. But the way the Doctor sounded...it was accusing. It hurt her to hear them speak of Nicholas like that, but she too now wanted answers. She slipped away, checking to see if anyone was looking, then went into Rumson's room. Nicholas was sound asleep in the bed, the covers tangled about him. She approached, resting her hand gently against his face. His skin was still cold...but nothing like the night before. She nearly decided to wake him, but she didn't want to hurt him. She didn't want him to think she didn't trust him, which she did. She just wanted to know more, wanted to know why he was distant with her at times. Looking down on him, Alya watched him sleep. Nicholas was so very still when he slept...she had watched him before, and it bothered her. His bare chest was exposed, and she sat on the edge of the bed, her hand hovering just over his heart. His skin was soft and pale...and cold. It was something else that bothered her, and she had asked several times if he was sick...if he was dying. He had assured her that wasn't the case, but then why wouldn't he let them become closer? Why did he always push her away when she asked about being joined, being married? She saw the violet lines on the back of her hand, contrasted against the pale skin on Nicholas' chest. She looked down, pulling the collar of her shirt slightly to the side--just enough that she could see several purple tips just below her collarbone. Was this why? Was it because she wasn't human and because he was? Other Nurians had joined with humans, had children, even. Why did he push her away? She pursed her lips, afraid something was wrong with him. Perhaps that was why he and his father chose the isolation on this planet. Perhaps they had come here so Nicholas could die. She didn't like that thought, but couldn't help but wonder. After all, Nicholas often endangered his life. He didn't seem to care about himself...he spent more time watching her than making sure he was healthy. She'd never seen him eat, nor, for that matter, drink much of anything. Shaking her thoughts off, she shifted, lying on the bed next to him. She rested against him, one hand wrapping around his waist, her head against his side. She wished he would say more, clear things up so she didn't have to poke into things she shouldn't. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Waking, Nick had found Alya clutching to him. As the storm had left and night had fallen, he quickly dressed. When Alya remained asleep, he had been pleased. He quickly left for his home without a word to anyone. Now, as he landed just outside of the building, he quickly made his way inside. There, he found both LaCroix and the Master. "Good, you're back. We're leaving this planet in a couple of days. We will leave with the Master. We should kill the others we've taken. They cannot reveal anything about us if they cannot speak." Nick tensed. "So, LaCroix, you've already chosen what we're going to do?" "Unless you want to get on the next ship, which is the Enterprise, I suggest that yes, that is what we're going to do. Besides...'unlimited hunting grounds' is sounding more and more tempting by the moment. Think about it, Nicholas. I'll let you decide what we do, but think about it." An alarm went off, and LaCroix spoke, "Someone has entered the perimeter. Deal with it, Nicholas." Nick nodded, literally flying outside. From the air, he saw the Doctor just inside the perimeter, ducking away as one of the plants snapped a vine in his direction. He landed nearby, just outside of the other's sight. "You shouldn't be here, Doctor." "Ah, Nicholas. Just who I was looking for," he said, finally getting out of that plant's reach. Nick grabbed the Doctor's arm, turning him around and leading the Doctor in the other direction. "Move. My father's not in the mood for company, certainly not for another one of your kind." At that, the Doctor pulled out of the grasp, becoming more cautious. "Another one of my kind? What do you mean?" "Don't lie. I can hear your hearts--plural. You're not human as you're trying to get the others to believe. You're a Time Lord. Now, start walking." "Not until you tell me how you know this." Nick teetered on the edge, hints of gold edging their way into his eyes. "From another." "The Master, by any chance?" Nick stiffened. How could this man know who the other was? And yet, vagueness surrounded them both...the Doctor and the Master. They were two anomalies, two more or less unnamed beings. Still, he knew more about the other Time Lord than this one. "It is none of your business." "He'll use you. He thinks you're gullible and weak. He's just using you to get what he wants. Do not trust him." "And I suppose you're asking me to trust you, instead? I don't think so. Now, leave. I believe the Enterprise arrives soon. I expect you to leave on it." Nick again took the other's arm, roughly half-dragging, half-pulling the Doctor back to Rams' place. There, he shot the Doctor a glare, then turned around and left. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Back home, Nick arrived to hear a scream. It was Alya. He flew to her position, finding her where he and LaCroix kept their quarry until they died. He approached her, and she screamed again. "You shouldn't have come here." "No. I don't believe this. They...." She glanced to one of those clinging to the bars of their cages. "They say you're going to kill them. How...I...no, tell me it's a lie!" LaCroix landed behind his son, startling her. "It's no lie. Nicholas is right. You should not have come." He stared at her, watching as she paled. "Bring her, Nicholas." He nodded, stepping toward Alya. She backed away. "I'm not going to hurt you. I don't want to. Just come," he said, holding his hand out. Alya listened to the calls from the others. They told her not to trust him. They told her that he was lying. They told her that she would die and that Nicholas would kill her. She blocked it out. She took a step closer, taking Nicholas' hand. Coming here, she'd been prepared to learn almost anything...anything but what she found. He pulled her closer, one hand on her waist and the other on her arm. "Please, Nicholas. I didn't mean...I just...I had to know you were okay." She felt his grip tighten. "Please...don't hurt me. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come here." He stopped. "Alya...." "Nicholas!" Nick turned, looking at his sire. "Come on," he said, again pulling her along. Soon, they were inside. Once there, LaCroix led Alya to a table, pushing her into one of the chairs. "This is not good, Nicholas. Now we may have to leave even earlier." "Nicholas? You're leaving?" He shut his eyes, but gave her a nod. "Yes, we're leaving. We've overstayed our welcome on this planet." "You don't care about me, do you?" "Of course he doesn't. You're merely a diversion to him. A plaything. Now, Nicholas, inform our guest that he needs to hurry." "You do that, LaCroix. I want to speak with her." LaCroix' eyes flashed gold, making Alya gasp in surprise. "Very well, but understand that she will have to be dealt with." Nick waited until his sire had gone, then again looked at Alya. "Is what he said true?" "It's complicated. It is, and it isn't. I didn't plan for you to care about me, Alya. I'm not used to it and, frankly, I don't like it." "What are you and LaCroix? I saw his eyes...." "We're not entirely human. Just leave it at that." She felt her arm tugging on his sleeve as he prepared to turn. "Please, Nicholas. I want to know." Aware that she would eventually find out anyway, he stated, "We're vampires. We live off blood, Alya. We hunt...that's what we're doing here." She had heard of the Earth myths, of these creatures of the night. They were portrayed as killers, murderers. She looked up into his face, asking, "Were you going to...hunt me?" "No." She searched his expression, but it was cold and hard. "But you don't have a choice anymore, do you?" "Not really." She loosened her grip, bowing her head. "I'm sorry, Nicholas," she said, realizing this was all her fault. But.... "I had to come, even though I probably shouldn't have. But, if I have to die, I want you to kill me. Not LaCroix, but you." She looked up at him, seeing...she didn't know what it was. "Not as a punishment, but a reward. If you're a vampire...take my blood. Give my life meaning when I die." He looked at her, turning away after a moment. Silently, he nodded, and then went to sit in one of the other chairs to wait for LaCroix to return. (10/12) The Doctor paced. Where was Alya? Upon arriving back, he had nearly headed back...until he'd discovered the young Nurian had disappeared. Not only that, but Ace was gone, too. Neither had said where they were going...they just vanished. And he had a pretty good idea of where that was. "Doctor, pacing will not help the situation. I've tried it in the past." Rams watched the other, asking, "Why are you so concerned, anyway? So she went off to see Nicholas...." "Who, if I'm right, isn't who he pretends to be. Have you ever been to their home? Have you ever had any questions about their past answered?" "What are you trying to get at?" The faint golden colour of the eyes he'd seen when Nicholas had dragged him back here was bothering him. "I'd say he's not human. I wouldn't trust what you've seen. Remember the disappearances I mentioned? Have you ever wondered just what they do with all that space? Why they like their isolation? Not only that, but I have a bad feeling that they have a guest." "A guest?" "Yes, something Nicholas said...'from another'.... Nicholas knows more about me than he should, than anyone here should." "Rumson should return from the Enterprise shortly. We will speak with him about this, and then, if he believes we have enough, we will go to the Captain of the Enterprise. In my opinion, however, you should leave Nicholas alone--he's not a murderer, if that's what you're accusing him of being." The Doctor shook his head. "I don't want to bring the Federation in on this." "Unless you are going to deal with this on your own, which probably isn't the best of options, considering you mentioned Nicholas dragged you back here, we'll have to." Rams paused, seeing something in the other. "You're worried something might happen to Alya and Ace, aren't you?" "Yes. I'm worried someone else might be with Nicholas and his father...and I don't like the possibilities that creates." *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Picard stared across his desk at the Doctor's gaze. "Why should we believe this? What proof do you have? Real, solid, proof?" "That's what this would allow you to get," the Doctor stated. "All I'm asking is to use the transporters to arrive in the building, to take them by surprise. To see what's going on there." "Which is bridging on their rights." "And what about Alya and the Doctor's friend?" Rumson spoke up, stepping closer to the Captain's desk. "What if the Doctor is right? They could be in danger." Picard leaned back. If that were true, then they had reason to act. "Very well, something will be organized shortly." "I'm going with you," the Doctor firmly stated. "Doctor, it's one thing to demand this, but it's quite another to interfere with--" "I'm going," the Doctor stated, holding the other's gaze. "If you don't allow me to go, you'll have to put me in a cell--and I have a tendency of not staying there." Picard held firm under the glare. This Doctor was a nuisance, that's what he was. "Very well, but if you're not ready, we'll head down on our own." Content with what he'd managed, the Time Lord straightened, stating, "Oh, I'll be there. Don't worry about that. I'll be down there no matter how I get there." He was determined to get there in as little time as possible. He would take control of a transporter if he had to, but Picard, he suspected, wouldn't stretch things out more than necessary. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Time passed--several minutes more than Nick expected. Finally, he heard LaCroix returning...and with two others accompanying him. One was the Master, and the other was a human. He stood as they entered, the Master half-dragging the human. It was Ace, the Doctor's friend. "The Master, here, went out of his way to bring the girl--foolish." Nick stiffened. "She is staying at Rams. Now we have no choice but to leave. We must go as soon as possible." LaCroix nodded, turning to the Time Lord. "My ship is fixed. We can leave whenever you wish to." "Good." Turning to his son, LaCroix told the younger, "Wait here. I will take care of the others. Deal with the two mortals. We can't leave anyone to talk." As LaCroix left, the Master shoved Ace further into the room. "Hmm...doesn't work well under pressure, does he?" "You could have left it be!" Nick exclaimed, his eyes changing to a bright gold. He approached the Time Lord, stopping right in front of him. "You didn't have to bring the girl here. If you hadn't, we wouldn't be in this situation!" "Yes, but we are." The Master held the other's gaze, smugly looking back. "You heard your sire. They can't talk. Kill her. Have done with her. I only wish I could see the Doctor's expression when he discovers her dead." "He's not going to find me dead," Ace finally interrupted them, fully confident in her words. "No, he's not," Nick said, stiffening somewhat. He turned to the human. "But, you can't remember any of this." "Now wait a-" When he grabbed her, she stopped. "Look at me. Look at me and forget." "Forget...forget what?" she said somewhat dazedly. "Forget everything from when the Master took you. Everything you've seen here. Forget, and sleep. Sleep deeply." He felt her muscles relax, and soon she was out. He lowered her to the ground. The Master didn't move, only changing his gaze to a combination of surprise and uncertainty. "A bit impressive...but I still say you should have killed her. What if your action doesn't hold?" Nick glared at the Time Lord. He really didn't like this man. He didn't like him at all...nor was he sure of this 'offer' being given to himself and LaCroix. It was too good to be true. He narrowed his eyes slightly. "That shouldn't be a problem, though, should it? If we're leaving here, then we're *leaving*. We shouldn't have to worry about her." Seeing the tips of the vampire's fangs, the Master reminded himself not to tick the other off. Nicholas, he knew, could be quite cruel. He'd seen it, and he'd felt it. But, he wasn't so easily intimidated. "You will, however, have to deal with her," he said, turning to Alya. "I remember LaCroix mentioning that Nurians are immune to certain...abilities of yours. I also hear that Nurian blood is thicker and has a richer, stronger flavour than human blood...." Alya tensed slightly. She just wanted this over with. If she had to die...then so be it. But they were just dragging it out. Seeing Nicholas' father return, she almost spoke, but stopped as his gaze met hers. They were running out of time. LaCroix saw the human girl on the ground, her heartbeat still strong and steady. His son must have wiped her memories. It was a somewhat strange gesture, but...Nicholas was prone to those and probably always would be. "The others are dead and computer records have been destroyed. All that's left is to leave." Nick shook his head. "I do not, and will not take this offer. I'd rather just live how we have been." He slowly circled the Time Lord, eventually walking to LaCroix' side, his attention still solidly on the Master. "Why should we run to another universe, like this one did? Perhaps it wasn't on purpose, but it doesn't seem to concern him. Another of his kind followed him here. He's going to run, and we're supposed to trust him? We can leave this planet, and then let him go on his way. I have no wish to leave this universe, only to be hunted in another." The Master's anger rose, and he went for the younger vampire...only to be stopped by the other. "I agree with my son. Now, Nicholas, all that is left is to deal with her and leave." Nick turned to Alya, watching as she closed her eyes. He saw no fear in her. He remembered what she had said earlier, and planned to do as she asked. Nick bent over, kissing her on the lips. He changed, his golden eyes and fangs visible. "Look at me, Alya." She did as asked, not thinking. Her eyes went wide, but she didn't make any verbal comment. In fact, she found his appearance intriguing. So, he wasn't human, but was that really so bad? Other than the fact that he was going to kill her, that was. Nick looked into her eyes, fully aware what his next action would do to her uncle and cousin. He had become friends with this family, and it had been, as LaCroix had mentioned near the beginning, a mistake. With that, he struck, his fangs piercing her neck and drawing her precious blood. Her blood held quite a bit of information-- particularly her feelings for him. Nick pushed the thoughts away, aware they didn't have much time and that they had to leave. He had to finish this quickly...and he did. He lowered her to the ground, quickly being pulled toward the column by his sire. Stepping inside, Nick's jaw dropped. The room he was now in--black with strange indented circles in the walls--was bigger than the one he'd just come from. "Now wait just a minute..." he started, looking around. The only sound was a faint humming noise in the background, and he turned to LaCroix, who was also taking a good look at his surroundings. Turning around, he was just amazed. This wasn't possible. "Stop gawking and pull that lever in front of you." Nick looked down, seeing a relatively large lever. He did so, and then turned as the doors shut behind them. By the time he turned back, there was more noise...and a column in the middle of the room going up and down. "What's happening?" "We're no longer on that planet of yours." The Master flipped a few more switches. "Soon, we'll be a very long way from here." (11/12) The Doctor, Beverly, Data, Worf, and another security officer materialized. The group just caught sight of a vanishing column, and the Doctor knew full well what it was. But...there were more important matters for the moment. Ace and Alya lay still on the ground, and he rushed to Ace, who was closest. Data scanned the two, relating, "They are both alive, Doctor. Your companion seems to be asleep. The other, however, has very weak life signs." Beverly went and knelt by Alya, scanning her as well. "We need to get her back to the Enterprise, now. She's weakening rapidly. I'd say that whoever did this wasn't planning on anyone getting here this soon. Much longer, and she'll die." "I'm going with you." She looked up to the Doctor, nodding. Quickly, she did a scan on the other female. "Looks like your friend is just sleeping. But we should get her back as well. Dr. Crusher to the Enterprise, four to beam directly to sickbay." A few moments later, they vanished. Then, Worf's communicator went off. "Worf here." "#It's Picard. Look around down there, and then get back up here. We have an unexpected arrival up here.#" *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. The Master hit the control panel, and then stared at the still column. He could feel the younger vampire's eyes on him...half laughing at him and half wanting to kill him. He wished he had his weapon, but the other had taken it. These two had been far more trouble than he had expected. "We aren't moving," Nick stated, almost completely sure of his statement. "No, we're not, but we shall be in just a moment." LaCroix watched, his anger rising a bit. "Where are we?" The Time Lord flipped a switch, revealing the inside of what looked like...a huge storage room. "We're on a ship orbiting Cellus Nine." "The only ship orbiting the planet is the Enterprise!" Nick hissed into the other's face. His emotions boiled, not liking any of this in the slightest. Perhaps the Doctor had been right in that the Master was simply using them. Whether or not that was the case, he didn't particularly like the idea of finding out. "We're leaving," he stated, locking gazes with the Time Lord. "We're getting off, here, on the Enterprise. I don't care what that means. We're not taking your offer." The Master tensed. Nicholas was far more trouble than he was worth...far more. He didn't react, though, more than taking a couple of steps to the right around the consol...which just happened to be away from the two vampires. LaCroix took what he was seeing, and agreed with his son. "We are leaving. Now. Find someone else to help you. If Nicholas does not trust you, neither do I." In spite of the fuming Time Lord, Nick reached forward and opened the door with a single, quick motion, his glare not leaving the other. Nick felt a pair of hands rest on his shoulders and LaCroix come up behind him. "Go back wherever you came from." Gold with hints of crimson trying to take it over stared at the Master, taunting him. He really didn't like the younger. LaCroix was at least like-minded...but Nicholas? He didn't like this, leaving the other loose to possibly cause problems later, if he didn't manage to get out of here. As Nicholas snarled at him and turned to go toward the door, he reached under the consol where he had placed something special.... He smiled as he grabbed it, and then pointed the device, a weapon, right at Nicholas' back and fired it. Nick felt something hit him...go through him, almost. There wasn't really any pain, just a sudden weakness. The next thing he knew, the ground was coming up on him, LaCroix catching him. Holding Nicholas close, LaCroix turned, pulling the weapon he had taken from the other earlier, and aimed it toward the Master. "I'd put that down if I were you. You don't even know how it works," he stated. He remained calm, despite the weapon being held correctly. In fact, one small action and he could be reduced just like that.... He kept his weapon on target, grinning. "If you're going to leave, then leave. I have nothing against that. Go, and deal with the Enterprise if that's what you want. Leave the weapon, if you would, I'm quite fond of it." Practically disgusted with that, LaCroix let his eyes change to gold. He hated leaving like this...but there was Nicholas to think about. He started for the door, backing up. Reaching the door, he tossed the weapon in his hand on the ground, wanting nothing more to do with it or the man it belonged to. Soon, he was out the door, still backing up. He exited, walking around along the side of the Master's 'ship', Nicholas held firmly in his grasp. "Stop right where you are!" He turned, finding two security officers with phasers fixed on him. The two tensed, seeing the man's golden eyes and the hints of what looked like fangs. "Don't move! Drop him, and put your hands up." LaCroix glared at them. He didn't want to deal with this. He watched as the Master's TARDIS started to disappear, catching the security officer's attention. Spotting the transporter on the other side of the cargo bay, he started for it, planning on going down to the planet and finding a way off...and with Nicholas. He started for it, but didn't get far as one of the phasers was fired. It was on the stun setting, but it was enough to stop him. He held his son close, listening as the two humans approached, still aiming their weapons at him. "Let go of him and back up." Doing the first, LaCroix watched them carefully. However, when one of them started for Nicholas, he hissed, warning them back. One reacted and fired his phaser, the stun enough this time to knock him out. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. The Doctor stood in sickbay, watching the two still figures. It was ironic that the two ended up in the same room, a bed apart. Alya was resting from her injury. She'd nearly been killed--killed by a vampire. Nicholas, he knew, was that vampire, and he lay on the next bed over, recovering as well. The Enterprise had searched the facility, but found no evidence to prove it was Nicholas and his father that was responsible for the disappearances. What were found, however, were erased records. The two must have cleaned up whatever they were doing. Nicholas' father had been locked in the brig since their arrival because of his actions. Nicholas was brought here, as he had not been stable at the time. Now, however, his life-signs had, by what Doctor Crusher had told him, returned to what she believed was normal. Ace had wakened just over an hour before, and was, as of a few minutes ago, ready to leave. He, however, wasn't. Looking back to Alya, the Doctor took in a deep breath. Technically, all the two needed was rest. "Professor, what happened down there? I don't remember a thing." "I don't know, Ace. I can only guess." He watched Nicholas as he began to stir. "Offhand, I would say you have him to thank." "Wait a minute...you told me that he's a...vampire," she said, the last word softer than the rest. "Vampires are hunters, they kill. Right?" "Yes, they do. He does. But...he didn't kill you." "And that's supposed to make me feel better?" He turned to her at that, and then looked back to the other as he stirred. Nicholas woke, sitting up and staring right at him with bright golden eyes. However, they quickly faded to blue a moment later, none of the others seeing the change, just the blue. Dr. Crusher went to her patient, trying to get him to lie back down, but it wasn't working. "You should rest. You were hit with a good dose of something. It messed your system up." "Let go of me," he said, trying to get out of her grasp. She let go of him, seeing his anger. "If you don't calm down, you'll end up in the brig with you father." That made him freeze. "What?" "Lucien LaCroix is in the brig. And if you don't relax, you'll be there too. Now, just let me see how you're doing, since you're finally awake." He watched her pull out her tri-corder, and he pulled it out of her hand. "Don't." "I've already seen your life-signs, if that's what you're concerned about. Both you and your father were thoroughly scanned while unconscious." Again, she saw his anger push to the surface. "I don't know what, exactly, you are, but I have no intentions of hurting you. Now, give it to me." He looked at her outstretched hand, stiffening. But, after a moment, he gave the device back. "Thank you. Now, sit still." Nick did so, but uncomfortably as she scanned him. He wanted to know what was known about them. He glanced at the two watching--the Doctor and his human friend. He turned back to the medical officer, waiting for her to finish. When she stopped, he asked, "Are you finished, now?" "Yeah, I'm done. But, I still want you to rest. You know, you're the second person that's landed in here with the strangest life-signs I've ever seen. First, the Doctor, and now, you and your father." He tensed further, wondering just how much she knew. "And what about them?" "Well, you seem to be relatively fine...other than the fact that you're barely alive--for a human. I highly doubt you're quite human, though." Looking her over, he could sense she was hiding something. She knew something more, but.... "What do you think I am, then?" he asked, keeping what he was from surfacing, wanting to know what she thought. "Honestly, I'm not sure. Your immune system is amazing. And, for that matter, your cardiovascular, respiratory, and even nervous systems aren't far behind that. Other than the many similarities with humans, I can't find any matches. I have, however, heard some whispered rumours." "About?" he prodded, his eyes on the verge of changing. "When your father arrived, he wouldn't let security near you. He took two high stuns before falling unconscious. He was also described as having golden eyes and fangs. Now, I'm a scientist, but others have linked that with Earth legends--specifically vampires." She could see him react a little to that, but she wasn't sure what the reaction was. "You are from Earth, and from what I see in the scans of both you and your father, I wouldn't be that surprised if they're right." Nick's eyes turned gold, his fangs descending. He pulled the tri- corder from her, punching in a few commands on it. "What are you doing? Give that back or I'll call security." He looked up, and pulled her closer, his hands on her face. "Se-" "Shh...don't call them. *Don't. Don't move.*" She froze, her eyes staring blankly forward. Nick grinned at that, pleased that she wasn't a resistor. Now, he just had to remove the evidence, and then her speculation. Ace started forward, but the Doctor held her back. "Professor, he's- -" "Just let him," he whispered to her, wondering just what Nicholas was going to do. At their movement, Nick turned toward them. He stared at them for a moment, and then went back to the tri-corder. In a few more seconds, he wiped the memory of the device. He placed it on the biobed, and then got off it, going to the other computers. It was relatively simple to wipe the information from the computers in sickbay. He'd done it several times. Learning the computers had quickly become a necessity, and usually, he could get just what he wanted. On the computer, he found more than just info about him and LaCroix, but some bits on the Doctor as well. Glancing up to the man, the Time Lord, he set his jaw. The Doctor had just as much of an investigation against him as he did...and the other was making no move to stop his actions. Quickly, and on a bit of a whim, he erased the computers back to before the Doctor's arrival. He went back to Dr. Crusher, who was still staring forward from his other comments. Just as he was about to finish his tasks, he watched as Alya woke. He swallowed, watching as she tried to sit up. Nick approached her, laying her back down. "Rest. Just rest, Alya." "I thought you were going to kill me?" Her words, so innocent, made him look down. When he again looked up, he saw the wounds on her neck where he'd bitten her. He'd been sloppy. Not only had he not disguised the wounds, but he'd also believed she would die before the Enterprise's crew found her. "I thought I had." His honesty hit her. She knew he had meant to kill her. "But you didn't." "No, I didn't, but it doesn't change anything." She shook her head. "No, I guess it doesn't. Will you make me forget?" He wasn't sure what to say. That had been his intention when he'd seen her wake. "Can you keep a secret, Alya?" "Yes. I don't want to forget your kindness." His muscles tightened, but he told her, "No. No, you don't have to forget. Just keep the secret. Now, go back to sleep. You need rest." Once she closed her eyes, he quickly goes back to Dr. Crusher. "*Listen to me. You don't know what I am. You don't have any speculation as to what either my father or I are. There are no indications that we're vampires. You have no memory of the scans which you have performed on us.*" "Don't know...no vampires...scans...." "*That's right. Forget. You don't remember anything about the Doctor, either. Forget him. Forget us.*" It took greater hold, and he finished, "*Sleep. Sleep and forget.*" He caught her as she fell, lifting her up onto the biobed. Then, he turned toward the two watching him. "You did that to me, didn't you? That's why I was asleep when the Doctor found me, isn't it?" He met the girl's eyes, his blue meeting her brown. He turned and started for the door. He'd messed with her thoughts. He'd gotten inside her mind and erased things...and he just walked away without even admitting it. "You know, if I had my stuff, I'd get a canister of Nitro-9 and--" "Ace.... Come on." With that, he started after the other, Ace in tow. They headed down the hall, Ace more confused than anything. "I really don't get this. Earlier, I think you were trying to link him to those disappearances. I mean, he's a *vampire*, a killer, and you were probably right. What's changed?" "He didn't kill you, and he's practically ignoring us. He's had the chance, but he hasn't. He may be a hunter, but there's more under there." "So, he's the bad guy, but...." "He's why we're here, and I think that problem has been taken care of." They kept after the other, staying just behind Nicholas. "Where are we going, then?" "Taking a wild guess, I'd say the brig." "The brig! Now I really wish I had my stuff." He stopped and turned to her, nearly ready to remind her that the security would have taken it away by now. Instead, he just told her, "Come on," and continued. (12/12) Entering the brig, Nick quickly disabled the guard. He simply walked in, flashed a smile, and started talking. The man didn't take to the hypnotism, but before he could react, Nick knocked him unconscious. Then, he undid the force field to LaCroix' cell, heading to his sire. The doors opened again, and LaCroix looked to the two visitors. "Nicholas, we seem to have a minor problem. You should have killed her when you had the chance." Glancing over at the waking security officer, he added, "You should have killed him, too." The officer hit his comm badge, calling for more security, and Nick winced. Almost simultaneously, a blue police box materialized in the middle of the room, diverting everyone's attention to it. The Doctor brightened a bit, pleased his suspicion was correct. Having done what they'd been sent to do, the TARDIS was returned to him. "There she is. I was wondering when she'd pop up." LaCroix stepped closer, stopping the Doctor as he started for the box. His son approached, putting his hand on his shoulder. A second later, they each turned toward the room's entrance, listening as others started closer. "Nicholas, we must go. Now." Ignoring his sire and facing the Doctor, Nick asked, "You wouldn't happen to be willing to give us a ride somewhere, would you?" "Willingly? As in no coercion?" the Doctor asked, watching as the elder of the two vampires eyed the door. "As in before security barges in?" "Yes. Just a short trip...but somewhere a good distance from here. Please, if not, we'll deal with it." The Doctor could just guess how they'd 'deal with it'. "I think a short trip can be managed." "Then get in your ship," LaCroix said, meeting the other's eyes. He didn't like the sharper tone of LaCroix, but he complied, pulling out his key and opening the door. As the security officers arrived, the two vampires, Ace, and the Doctor got in, the door closing and the TARDIS disappearing a moment later. Worf and the others just stared as the box vanished. "Captain, they've left in some...box." *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. On the bridge, Data did a scan of the ship. The results, however, weren't quite what the Captain expected. They'd just lost four passengers...somewhere. Another 'ship'...for lack of a better term...arrived in the brig and disappeared. And, apparently, it took the Doctor, Ace, and the two that had arrived on the other ship similar to this one. "They can't have just vanished," Riker argued. "What are we supposed to put it down as?" Picard smiled. He wasn't sure if they could, or not, but they had. The Doctor, on his own had been an anomaly...but adding to it the other two and the ship they'd arrived on.... "Whatever makes the most sense. I have a feeling we aren't going to find any answers no matter how hard we look." *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. LaCroix glared at the man at the consol. He wanted out of this ship...and out of this bright room. It was almost identical to the Master's TARDIS, except that it was white. Already, they had spent more time in this ship than they had in the other. The hum in the background was getting to him. Much longer, and it was going to push him too far. The noise was even beginning to bother his son, who was slowly pacing. This TARDIS was 'acting up', something that didn't seem to take its owner by surprise. Nick continued to pace, then suddenly stopped, asking, "How much longer?" "Depends on where you want to go." The Doctor hit the consol, and the column started up again. "Earth shouldn't be too difficult. Anywhere else, and I can't guarantee we'll get there." "Earth is fine. Just get us there," LaCroix spoke, his eyes flashing gold, catching the Doctor's gaze. "I don't think that'll be a problem," he said, evenly. "In fact, we're on our way. We have about an hour." LaCroix turned away, holding back his hunger. Being trapped in that cell after being stunned was hard enough, but now he had heartbeats pounding in his ears. They just had another hour, and then they would be free of this room. As his son approached the Doctor, however, he turned back. "Why didn't you leave us? And, for that matter, why didn't you stop me in sickbay?" The Doctor turned to the younger vampire, stating, "Why didn't you kill Ace? You could have killed us both. You could have killed that guard." "Nicholas doesn't always think, that's why," LaCroix answered for his son. Nick shot a glare at his sire...at which he got nothing more than a raised eyebrow. In truth, that was about it. He didn't like to kill unless he had to, but the truth was, he didn't kill Ace because there was no time to cover it up. He'd barely had enough time to drain Alya, and even that hadn't gone as planned. "It wasn't on the agenda," he eventually said, which was also true. Ace clenched her jaw. This man...this creature, was a killer. "But if we'd been in your way, you would have. You would have killed me if you couldn't just make me forget, huh?" He didn't answer. He neither wanted to, nor could. "You like killing, don't you?" "Yes, I do," Nick responded, letting himself change. "More specifically, I like hunting. The chase. The kill is only the end of it. Now, stop asking me about it." Ace stared at the vampire, then took several steps back and turned to the Doctor. "Why are we helping them, anyway? And why did the TARDIS just appear?" "Because I think there's more than one side to them. People can kill, but not all murderers are inherently evil." The Doctor turned, locking his gaze with Nicholas'. "I think there's a grey area...a large, deep sea of grey. As for the TARDIS...that means we get to go home after dropping them off." Nick stood and watched as the girl eventually turned and went to the other side of the room. She didn't leave...although he could see that she wanted to. He walked back toward LaCroix, stopping his sire when he started for the Doctor, gripping the other's arm. "Nicholas, release me." "No...just leave him. He helped us off the Enterprise. When we get to Earth, we can simply continue." He momentarily glanced back at the other, and then stated, "Let's just take this for what it is--a free trip." LaCroix glared at the Doctor, but nodded. He didn't trust their 'captain', but at least they were heading safely away from trouble. *+.*+.*+.*+.*+. Having arrived at their destination and dropped off their passengers, the Doctor closed the doors and started up the TARDIS...only for it to stall a moment later. "Come on...we're going home," he coaxed, and a moment later, it started up again. He flashed a smile, and then it disappeared as he saw Ace. "So, we're going back to our universe just like that?" "Well...hopefully, anyway." "Hopefully? Why don't I like the sound of that?" "Remember what happened before we woke up on the Enterprise?" Ace felt the room shift around her, and she had a bad feeling. "Not again...." The column came to a halt, but they kept moving. Soon, they were holding onto the consol as the TARDIS when spinning through not time, not space, but something else...heading for another Earth and another time. ~finis~ Jarvinia jarvinia@gmx.com @>--,---'---